Saturday, November 8, 2008

DRINKING THE KOOL-AID

11/08/08

You may have noticed the way the mainstream media nearly swooned over Obama during the primaries and, later, during the presidential campaign.

Perhaps the most famous quip is Chris Matthews' excited description while covering one of Obama's primary speeches: "I have to tell you, it's part of reporting this case, this election — the feeling most people get when they hear Barack Obama's speech. My, I felt this thrill going up my leg! I mean, I don't have that too often. No, seriously, it's a dramatic event!… And that's an objective assessment."

Of course, it is, Chris. I can't imagine anyone suggesting you weren't being objective. I mean, is the Pope Catholic?!

Describing another of Obama's victory speeches during a primary campaign, Joe Scarborough, host of Morning Joe on MSNBC, gushed, "If anybody in America has heard a better speech in modern American political history, please email me!" Pul-eeze!!

Chris Matthews, "objective" anchor of MSNBC's Hardball, was even more effusive. "Two days before, I heard him speak before hundreds of people in the old Palace Theater in Manchester. It was the best speech I've ever heard! …first it was conversational, then it was unbelievable, and I'm tearing up and I'm writing down notes…. And he did it again that night at midnight."

Since the election on Tuesday, the press coverage has gotten even more bizarre. Take this item from Friday's news broadcast, for instance, in which Chris Matthews admits that he will no longer even try to be objective.

Matthews told Joe Scarborough, "I want to do everything I can to make this thing work, this new presidency work."

Scarborough asked him, "Is that your job? You just talked about being a journalist."

Matthews replied, "Yes, it is my job. My job is to help this country…. To make this work successfully. This country needs a successful presidency."

Can you believe it? After eight years of Bush-bashing, a mainstream news anchor has suddenly decided that it's his job to make the Obama presidency successful??

You may remember that in a campaign speech, Barack Obama told the crowd, "A light will shine down from somewhere, it will light upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will say to yourself, 'I have to vote for Barack!'"

It sounds like that light shined down on Chris Matthews from somewhere (I won't hazard a guess as to its source.) and he experienced that epiphany and he suddenly knew he just had to support the Obama presidency.

This is getting scary, folks.
© 2008 by Libbi Adams. All rights reserved.

No comments: