Friday, October 31, 2008

Epiphany

10/31/08

"A light will shine down from somewhere, it will light upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will say to yourself, 'I have to vote for Barack!'" (Barack Obama in a campaign speech)

God forbid!

But that aside, have you considered how pompous such a statement is? And then there's Barack Obama's description of what will happen when he's elected president: "This was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to fall and our planet began to heal!"

What pompous arrogance! Can you imagine the reaction if George Bush or any other conservative made a similar statement? He'd be laughed off the stage and ridiculed by every news anchor and political pundit. But Obama is delusional enough to believe such things about himself — and to expect us to believe them, too!
The saddest part, though, is that his audience cheered these absurd statements.

Recently, the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons offered an explanation for the seeming gullibility of Obama's audiences. They have openly speculated that Obama has been using covert mind-control techniques in his speeches.

Called neurolinguistic programming, this form of covert hypnosis was developed by Dr. Milton Erickson using various techniques such as slow speech, rhythm, tonality, repetitive phrases and certain hand gestures to open the mind to suggestion and to aid in implanting hypnotic commands. In Obama's half-hour prime time political ad, these techniques were in evidence.

Even though the statements Obama made in his infomercial were not consistent with the statements he made during the primary or even in his recent stump speeches, I'm sure many people bought them hook, line and sinker.

My favorite lie was, "I will rebuild the military." Not only do I recall that President Bush had to rebuild the military after eight years of a Democrat administration, but I clearly recall Obama's program for dismantling American defense which he spelled out in Iowa during the early days of his campaign for the presidency.

"I'm the only major candidate who opposed this war from the beginning and, as president, I will end it. Second, I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems, and I will institute an independent defense priorities board to ensure that the quadrennial defense review is not used to justify unnecessary spending. Third, I will set a goal of a world without nuclear weapons. To seek that goal, I will not develop new nuclear weapons, I will seek a global ban on the production of fissile material, and I will negotiate with Russia to take our ICBMs off hair-trigger alert and to achieve deep cuts in our nuclear arsenals."

After that very specific speech, Obama expects us to believe him when he says, "I will rebuild the military."

The most entertaining parts of the infomercial, however, were the sob stories, which Obama couldn't quite pull off. One family in particular was especially difficult to pity. The mother complained about having to shop the specials and skimp on milk because of the family's financial woes — yet she was sporting a set of acrylic nails and was so obese she could barely waddle. She looked as though she'd had more than enough to eat for a very long time!

While this woman pondered how much milk she could afford to buy for the family, I wondered why she didn't just give up her $25 manicures and use the money she saved to purchase groceries. It would seem the family's problem is not so much a financial one as it is a problem of misplaced priorities. Anyone who opts to spend money on a manicure and then complains she doesn't have enough money for food doesn’t need a government handout; she needs to grow up!

Strikingly absent was a look at how many cars the families had and how many cell phones and televisions they enjoyed. I'm sure that information would have been an eye-opener. This is the only nation in the world whose "poor" own cars, televisions, computers and cell phones.

As much as I enjoyed observing Obama's attempts to dupe and deceive, he did not manage to change my mind. I experienced no epiphany. He only left me wanting to smack that obese woman up-side the head and tell her to stop whining and get a life!

© 2008 by Libbi Adams. All rights reserved.

No comments: